Create your own individualized peace signs from paper, plastic, yarn and beads. Draw peace signs on paper (or use stickers or clip art), laminate with clear plastic, hole punch the edges and crochet around with colorful thread or yarn. Voila! You have a wonderful, unique ornament, pendant, earring, or good luck charm.
Paper (I used white drawing paper)
Markers, crayons, or gel pens for drawing (I used fine tip markers and metallic gel pens)
Round Hole Punch (1/8” or ¼” diameter)
Embroidery floss or crochet cotton (I used sizes 20 and 3) for edging
1 skein embroidery floss for each tassel, optional
Clear plastic laminate for heat sealing (3 mil or 5 mil)
Laminator, electric (I use a “Scotch” brand laminator)
Large eye Beads, optional
Large eye embroidery needle
Small Crochet hook (I used B and E)
- Draw peace signs on paper—I ranged from 2-3” diameter
- Cut out shapes
- Cut out peace sign shapes, allowing minimum ½” clear border around each shape
- Hole punch around shape, within clear border area, spacing holes about 3/8” apart
- With hook moving from front to back through punched holes, single crochet around the entire shape, creating a colorful border. I usually make 3 stitches per hole—you may have to “fudge” a bit to make the crocheted border fit snugly around the curved edge.
- NOTE: I used a E hook for embroidery floss and crochet cotton #3 and ¼” holes
- I used a B hook crochet cotton #20 and 1/8” holes
- Upon reaching the first single crochet stitch, join with slip stitch to first single crochet stitch.
- To create a loop, chain 25 and join with slip stitch to first chain. Tie off and weave in end.
- If desired, add tassel by making tassel from one skein of embroidery floss. Refer to Crafty Chica’s instructions at http://www.craftychica.com/2014/06/colorful-purse-tassels-keychains/
- Thread needle and string it through top of tassel, thread beads onto strand. Cut and tie onto the crochet edging of peace sign
- Embellish your peace signs as design with beads, tassels, or connect 2 or more together as a hanging
- Alternative to crocheted loop—use large metal jump rings as hangers or connectors
- Enjoy and have fun!